Saturday, June 16, 2012

Liked it. Pinned it. Did it!

First of all, I must start off this post by mentioning my newest favorite shop! I just about died from laughter when I saw these.
And her shop is full of any mustache-y drinkware you can imagine. Definitely go check it out!

Whenever I saw it though, I immediately thought, "I could make those!" I ran out to World Market the next day to grab the mugs, and already had some ceramic paint on hand. However, when I opened my mugs, the metal piece that they stand in was cracked. I was so devastated. And knowing how unmotivated and procrastinating I am, the mugs are still sitting in my room waiting to be exchanged. Here's where Pinterest comes in though!


Remember this post I did a few months ago? Well in honor of wanting to use my super cute button again, here we go:

So on Pinterest this week, I found this great pin! I thought it would be a fun way to practice my mustache mugs, until it was time to make the real deal.
Source
All you need, is a dollar store mug, pencil, and sharpie.
If you're as much of a hoarder collector as I am, you already have these items on hand!

1. I found a google image mustache clipart that was just perfect for the project. (I strongly suggest you search "mustache clipart" in your spare time. You'd be shocked by the amount of different styles and crazy mustaches come up.) 
2. I printed and cut around the mustache. 
3. Using that as a template, I traced it in pencil on my mug.
4. Then I used my Sharpie, to color in every bit of it. While I had the Sharpie in my hand, I did a bit of modifying, nothing crazy.
5. Once I had the mustache looking exactly the way I wanted, I stuck the mug in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes, and it was done!


Such an easy craft, your 3 year old can do it (If you trust a 3 year old with Sharpies, that is)! Based on how quick this craft was, I'm even considering buying some colored Sharpies and making a set for my kitchen. Let me know if you try it out, I'd love to see your pictures!

4 comments:

  1. I love those cups! I need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you love it! It was so stinkin easy too. Shoot me an email if you try it. I'd love to see your finished product and any variations you'd try on it. :)

      Delete
  2. this is so cute! I want to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you could do that with Sharpies. Definitely want to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment on my blog. I enjoy and read each one of your sweet comments!